Lavender oil for the hair is one of the most popular ingredients that can be used as an essential oil.
It is distilled from the plant Lavandula angustifolia, the oil promotes relaxation and is believed to treat anxiety, fungal infections, allergies, depression, insomnia, eczema, nausea, and menstrual cramps.
In this blog we talk about what lavender oil is, health benefits for lavender oil, the usage of lavender oil and the best treatment for a healthy scalp.
What is lavender oil?
Lavender is a multipurpose oil, that can have several health benefits. Lavender oil is something that we obtain by distillation from the flower spikes of certain species of lavender. The plant is a bushy, strong-scented perennial from the Mediterranean. In warmer regions, its grey to green foliage stays evergreen throughout the year, and the herb thrives in some of the toughest of garden conditions. Here’s how to plant, grow, and harvest lavender in the garden.
Health benefits for lavender oil
Lavender essential oil and its properties have been widely studied. The results of this studies you can find below:
- Anxiety; Several studies have tested lavender's anxiety-reducing effects in specific populations. For example, a study published in Physiology & Behaviour in 2005 focused on 200 people awaiting dental treatment and found that breathing in the scent of lavender both lessened anxiety and improved mood. Other research of 2012 confirms benefits participants with moderate to severe anxiety.
- Hair growth; it helps to promote hair growth. A study found that lavender oil can grow thicker and faster than normal. This benefit is way more effective when the oil can work itself into the skin. Pattern baldness and alopecia their symptoms can reduce, because of hair growth.
- Antimicrobial; it has microbial properties. This means it helps prevent bacteria and fungi from growing. When applied to hair or scalp, this may prevent common hair or scalp issues. In particular, it may prevent itchy scalp or dandruff and even infections.
- Studies also show that it can help prevent head lice. It may even kill it.
- It is a home remedy for skin inflammation and burns. Using it in essential oil form may be good for scalp inflammation and dryness.
Usage of lavender oil
There are many ways to use and apply lavender oil to one’s hair. Depending on the benefits you want to experience, certain applications are better than others.
- Massage the oil into your scalp: after a bath or a shower the best thing to do is let the shampoo rest in your hair after 5 to 10 minutes you need to rinse it out.
- Products with lavender oil in them can be calming, fragrant, and good for your scalp. They may not necessarily promote hair growth but lavender oil is very likely to be diluted, with the amount varying from product to product.
- Next time you’re purchasing hair care products, look at the ingredients. If the ingredients lists contain “lavender essential oil” or “lavender hydrolat,” these are good candidates. The more natural ingredients and carrier oils, the better.
- Try a nourishing mask with lavender oil. This gives you all the best benefits of lavender oil for hair care. It could give benefits such as preventing breakage or moisturizing.
What is the best treatment for healthy scalp
For an healthy scalp there are a few products that help to treat it and contain lavender oil. These products are an exfoliating shampoo and a nourishing mask. These products have effect against a troubling scalp, such as dandruff, seborrheic dermatitis and psoriasis.
The exfoliating shampoo works gently on the scalp and removes impurities such as dandruff and flakes. It contains a broad spectrum of ingredients with anti-fungal, anti-inflammatory and anti-microbial activity.
The nourishing mask increases the overall health of the scalp. The mask contains soothing natural oils to treat and calm the scalp. They also contain anti-fungal, anti-inflammatory and anti-microbial activity. We recommend to use the mask 3 to 4 times per week in combination and it is easy to combinate with the exfoliating shampoo.
Lavender oil for the hair comes from the lavender plant and has several health benefits. Against dandruff, flakes and other scalp conditions.