Folliculitis means inflammation of hair follicles. It is also known as hair root inflammation. The inflammation can appear on every part of the body where hair grows. This skin disorder is common on both women and men at all ages.
How does folliculitis develop
Folliculitis is usually caused by bacteria or yeasts living on the skin entering the hair follicle and causing an infection. Often it is a skin bacteria, this can cause a deep and serious infection on the hair follicle. This is called a boil or furuncle. You can consider Acne as a form of folliculitis. An hair follicle with damage can be the cause. Shaving can also be a cause as well as fatty ointments or oils that close off the pores and cause a blockage of the hair follicle and/or sebaceous gland.
If an infection takes place than it is often because of :
- By bacteria; staphylococci is usually responsible for this. People that often take a hot bath can get it easier.
- By yeasts; this are the same yeasts that also cause psoriasis and is not contagious for people.
How does folliculitis look like?
Folliculitis is when a few or many small white and yellowish pimples are seen, starting from a hair follicle. If you take a closer look: most pimples still have a hair sticking out them. There can be some redness around it and it often itches. Folliculitis can occur anywhere where there are hairs. It is often on the back or chest, but also on the legs and arms, on the face or on the hairy head, or on the neck or buttocks. But not, for example, on the palms of the hands or the soles of the feet, as there is no hair there.
How to treat folliculitis
The treatment depends on the cause. There are variants which will pass away by themselves. Sometimes treatment with an anti-bacterial or anti-yeast agent is necessary. A number of different forms of folliculitis we discuss below, together with their treatment:
- Folliculitis due to Staphylococcus aureus: staphylococcus is the number one cause of folliculitis. This form can co away spontaneously. If not, there are a number of treatment options. You need to wash your skin daily with an shampoo, such as the exfoliating shampoo of Neofollics, which is effective against these symptoms. Also pay attention to personal hygiene. Change soiled underwear and clothing, as well as towels, in time.
- Folliculitis by yeasts: not only bacteria, but also fungi and yeasts such as Pityrosporon ovale live on human skin. People call this yeast Mallasezia furfur and you can find in healthy people all over the body, even on the hairy head. On the hairy head, yeast overgrowth can cause dandruff, in the eyebrows and around the nose eczema, and if the yeasts are present in large numbers in the hair follicles, folliculitis can occur. Shampoo that consists out of Piroctone olamine, ketoconazole or Climbazole treats this effectively.
- An overgrowth of demodex mite causes overgrowth. This is a parasite that lives in the hair follicle it does not yet exist in newborns, but it does in adults. Demodex folliculitis occurs in areas where most mites are found: the forehead, cheeks, nose, hairy head, chest. You can treat it with anti-parasite agents such as Stromectol or tablets.
Treatment for the scalp
In many other forms of folliculitis, a nourishing shampoo is sufficient. With the scalp treatment of Neofollics, you won't need anything else. This treatment ensures that various scalp conditions will reduce and in some cases even disappear.
The treatment is effective against seborrheic eczema, dandruff, eczema, itching of the scalp, psoriasis, lichen planopilarus and folliculitis. The products are an exfoliating shampoo and nourishing mask, they consist out of ingredients that actively work on the scalp namely: climbazole, piroctone olamine, witch hazel leaf extract, horse chestnut extract, licorice extract, rosemary oil, panex ginseng and lavender oil.
Research shows us that 92% see an overall improvement in their scalp condition after 28 days. We are confident that it is the best solution for your scalp condition whether it is folliculitis or dandruff.
Folliculitis is a condition that causes inflammation. It is possible to treat some of the symptoms of folliculitis by using an effective shampoo that consists out of ingredients that work on the scalp.